What does a humidifier do?
A humidifier is a device used to regulate and increase humidity in a room. A humidifier adds moisture to indoor spaces, increasing humidity. This is crucial because optimal humidity is essential for a healthy living environment. It helps reduce problems such as dry skin, irritated airways and static electricity.
How does a humidifier work?
A humidifier works in different ways, depending on the type. The most well-known humidifiers are ultrasonic humidifiers and evaporative humidifiers. Ultrasonic humidifiers use ultrasonic vibrations to convert water into mist which is then released into the air by a fan. In a humidifier with evaporative technology, micro-fine mist particles are dispersed by a fan into the interior. These micro-fine particles are created by a rotor that slowly rotates in the humidifier's water tray.
When to use a humidifier?
A humidifier is recommended to be used when the humidity in a room is too low. This happens mainly during the winter months when the heating is on or during the summer months when an air conditioner is in operation. A humidity level around 55% is considered optimal for a comfortable living environment. If the humidity is below 45% relative humidity, it is advisable to use a humidifier.
If the air is too dry, breathing problems can occur, as well as cracked lips, headaches and a dry throat. A humidifier can reduce these problems and improve overall well-being.
What should you look out for when buying a humidifier?
When buying a humidifier, there are several factors it is best to consider. First, it is important to pay attention to the size of the room in which you want to use the humidifier. Clean Air Optima® humidifiers are designed for small and medium-sized rooms, so make sure you choose a humidifier that is suitable for the size of your space.
Secondly, it is important to consider the type of humidifier. Each type of humidifier has its own specific features, depending on your needs and preferences. Evaporative humidifiers generally have a high capacity and are therefore suitable for large rooms, while ultrasonic humidifiers are quiet and suitable for smaller rooms.
Furthermore, maintenance and cleaning of the humidifier is very important. Choose a humidifier that is easy to clean and where filters of the humidifier can be easily replaced. Regular maintenance ensures optimal humidifier performance and prevents the spread of bacteria.
Where should you put a humidifier?
When installing a humidifier the location is very important to ensure the optimal performance of the humidifier. Here are a few essential considerations:
- Central location: place the humidifier in a central location of the room so that the moisture above the humidifier is evenly distributed. As a result, the whole room benefits from improved humidity.
- Avoid direct air currents: do not place the humidifier near a heat source or air conditioner to prevent the air flow from directly affecting the moisture content.
- Elevated position: place the humidifier on an elevated position, such as a table or cabinet. This helps in more efficient distribution of moisture in the room.
- Safe distance: keep sufficient distance with the placement of the humidifier from walls and furniture to avoid obstructing airflow and ensure optimal operation.
By taking these placement guidelines into account, you can optimise the effectiveness of your humidifier and enjoy a more pleasant living environment with healthy humidity levels.
Below is the step-by-step plan
to effectively clean and descale a humidifier:
Maintaining your humidifier is essential to ensure that it continues to work effectively and does not spread harmful substances. One of the important maintenance tasks is regular descaling and cleaning of the humidifier. Limescale deposits can build up in the water basin and other parts of the humidifier, which can adversely affect performance and reduce air quality.
Here are the steps to effectively descale a humidifier:
- Switch off and unplug the humidifier: before you start cleaning and descaling, make sure the humidifier is completely switched off and safely disconnected from the power source.
- Empty the water tank: pour all the water out of the water tank and clean with a mild detergent, rinse the water tank thoroughly with clean water to remove any detergent residue. (Please note: Clean Air Optima® Cleaner & Descaler is not suitable for the water tank).
- Empty the water basin (lower part) of the humidifier: follow the instructions on the Clean Air Optima® Cleaner & Descaler packaging to use the correct amount of cleaner and descaler.
- Fill the humidifier's water basin with 2 - 4 caps of Clean Air Optima® Cleaner & Descaler: add water to the edge of the water basin.
- Allow the Cleaner & Descaler to take effect: leave for a minimum of 30 minutes and a maximum of 60 minutes. This enables the Cleaner & Descaler to effectively break down limescale and thoroughly clean the humidifier's water basin.
- Rinse thoroughly: after the soaking time, rinse the humidifier's water basin thoroughly with clean water to wash away all dissolved scale and contaminants.
- Dry and reassemble: allow all parts to dry thoroughly before reassembling and using the humidifier.
By regularly descaling the humidifier with a suitable cleaner and descaler such as Clean Air Optima® Cleaner & Descaler, you will ensure that your humidifier continues to work efficiently and maintain a healthy humidity level in the room.
Aromatherapy with a humidifier
A humidifier can be used not only to improve humidity, but also as a useful tool for aromatherapy. Here is a brief explanation of how aromatherapy with a humidifier works:
- Adding essential oils: many Clean Air Optima® humidifiers have a special compartment where you can add a few drops of essential oils. Choose oils with scents that relax, energise or reduce stress, depending on your needs.
- Diffusing fragrance: the humidifier diffuses the scent of essential oils into the air while regulating the humidity level in the room. This creates a pleasant and relaxing environment.
- Health benefits: certain essential oils have health benefits, such as relieving sinus problems, improving breathing or promoting sleep. By diffusing these oils using a humidifier, you can benefit from these positive effects.
- Combination of moisture and odour: Aromatherapy with a humidifier combines the benefits of healthy humidity with the healing properties of essential oils, creating a synergistic effect.
Only use oils suitable for use in humidifiers to prevent damage to the device. Enjoy the soothing aromas and positive effects on your well-being that aromatherapy with a humidifier brings. View all Clean Air Optima humidifiers that are suitable for aromatherapy, check out the specifications.
Frequently asked questions
Can a humidifier help with allergies?
Yes, a humidifier can help with allergies by increasing humidity which reduces allergens such as dust mites and pollen.
Can humidifiers be hazardous to health?
No, if properly used and maintained, humidifiers are not harmful to health. However, excessive humidity should be avoided as it can promote mould growth.
How often should I clean my humidifier?
It is recommended to clean your humidifier weekly and change the filters if necessary. This ensures healthy and effective operation of the device.